|LAWRENCE COUNTY JOB OPENING NOTICE|
|Job Title:||DIRECTOR OF EQUALIZATION|
|Work Schedule:||Full Time – 40 hrs per week|
|Closing Date:||November 15, 2022 (updated)|
|Description of Duties:||Performs managerial, supervisory and administrative work in the direction and operation of professional and technical appraising. Conducts and performs the duties of Director of Equalization in compliance with South Dakota laws.|
|Qualifications:||Thorough knowledge of methods, techniques and procedures utilized in the appraisal of property for tax assessment purposes. A VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE IS REQUIRED. Must establish residency in Lawrence County, South Dakota within eleven (11) months of date of employment|
|Education:||Related Bachelor of Science degree is desirable with 5 years general experience in valuing property; or, a high school diploma with five years’ experience in assessing property values.|
|SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:||Must provide certified assessor and appraising documentation or be able to meet the requirements for a C.A.A. certification as required in Administrative Rules Chapter 64:02:01.|
|Submit Application & Resume to:||Bruce Outka, Commissioners’ Assistant, 90 Sherman St Deadwood, South Dakota 57732 Email: email@example.com You must submit a county job application with your resume to be considered. Application available at https://sd-lawrence.civicplus.com/381/Employement-Opportunities or at the Lawrence County Auditor’s Office|
|Lawrence County is an equal opportunity employer.|
LAWRENCE COUNTY JOB OPENING NOTICE
Date: September 6, 2022
Job Title: County Highway/Physical Plant Superintendent
Department/Office: Highway Department
Closing Date: November 15, 2022 (updated)
Start Date: TBD
Starting Pay: D.O.Q.
Work Schedule: Salaried position
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
COUNTY HIGHWAY/PHYSICAL PLANT SUPERINTENDENT
General Statement of Duties: Responsible and accountable for the overall planning, direction, coordination, and control of the County highway and physical plant administration, including the effective, safe, and efficient construction, maintenance, and engineering of all County roads, bridges and related services, in a manner designed to achieve the best possible quality of workmanship and materials at the most reasonable possible cost, in meeting the needs of County residents and taxpayers for a network of safe, reliable County roads and buildings. Supervision Received: Works with broad latitude under the direction and discretion of the Lawrence County Commissioners.
Supervision Exercised: Supervises all personnel and activities within the Highway Department and Buildings and Grounds Department.
Examples of Duties: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all duties which may be found in positions for this class.) 1. Plans, directs, coordinates, and controls, directly or indirectly, all engineering, maintenance and construction work performed on the County highway system, under the administrative direction of the County Commissioners.
2. Coordinates County road construction activities with other public or private agencies to effect maximum possible cooperation.
3. Directs and conducts accurate, complete field surveys to gather information for the planning and preparation of new work.
4. Responsible and accountable for the efficient and complete inspection of all construction work
performed, to assure conformity to standards and specifications; and responsible, upon completion of work, for the acceptance and preparation of final reports.
5. Provides for professional engineering designing, testing, and approval functions on all County road projects.
6. Prepares all documents and specifications relative to all construction lettings and equipment needs, and carries out, or directs, the purchasing of all authorized equipment, materials, and supplies for the Highway Department.
7. Coordinates the establishment and vacation of County roads.
8. Responsible to prepare and present the Five-Year Lawrence County Highway and Bridge Improvement Plan for the development of both short and long range maintenance and construction projects, under the administrative direction of the County Commission; and keeps the Board informed on all matters relating to present, proposed, and needed work on County roads and bridges.
9. Responsible for preparing and submitting a Highway Department budget request annually and prepares accurate and complete reports relating to budgets, construction programs, road and bridge plans, and any other required areas.
10. Responsible, and accountable for the effective supervision, training, motivation, development, discipline, and overall direction of a well-trained, efficient, and capable workforce to carry out assigned responsibilities. May delegate responsibility, but not accountability, for work performed on County roads and bridges.
11. Keeps current on developments within scope of responsibility.
12. Preserves all governmentally established monuments and section corners. 13. Responsible for supervision of County buildings and grounds which includes the Buildings and Grounds Department personnel.
14. Strives to create, develop, and maintain, effective and positive public relations within the community, County, and the State; and serves as a direct representative of the County Board of Commissioners on matters relating to assigned scope of responsibility.
15. Assists Planning and Zoning by reviewing road and site grading plans for roads in new developments and performs inspections upon construction of those roads. 16. Assists Planning and Zoning by signing off on plats that are adjacent to County roads. 17. Responsible to perform preliminary inspections on all applications submitted for private and commercial approach permits and make recommendations to the Commissioners. 18. Responsible for performing preliminary inspections for approach permit and utility permit applications and making recommendations to the Commissioners for approval or denial. 19. Works closely with the Office of Local Government Assistance within the South Dakota Department of Transportation and also with SDLTAP Program.
20. Will become a member of the SDACHS (South Dakota Association of County Highway Superintendents) and attend training conferences and short courses.
21. Performs various other duties within scope of responsibility as assigned by the County Commissioners.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of highway design, construction, and maintenance; knowledge of State code requirements as related to responsibilities; ability to train, motivate, and direct others; knowledge of safety standards and regulations; knowledge of management and budgetary principles; knowledge of land surveying; ability to communicate
effectively; and must qualify to be bonded. Must have or be willing to obtain a South Dakota Highway Superintendent Certification certificate. Must be familiar with the South Dakota Department of Transportation Local Roads Plan. Must possess a thorough knowledge of contracting and bidding processes. Must possess a good knowledge of Lawrence County geography.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or directly related education and combination of experience deemed acceptable by the Lawrence County Board of Commissioners.
Experience: Must have ten years of increasing supervisory and administrative experience in highway construction and managing a construction organization or government operation. Miscellaneous: Must possess a valid South Dakota driver’s license.
Lawrence County is an equal opportunity employer.